Foreign-registered Vehicles

The RFA according to its enabling Act, the Road Fund Administration Act (Act 18 of 1999), under Section 18 (1)(b) and Government Notice 4677 of March 2011, is authorised to collect Cross Border Charges (or Entry Fees) from every foreign-registered vehicle (from motor cycles to heavy vehicles), including Mass Distance Charges (or Travelling Distance Charges) on all foreign-registered vehicles weighing above 3,500kg utilising Namibia's roads temporarily.

MDCs are aimed at recovering the excess variable cost responsibility for heavy vehicles that cannot be recovered using fuel levies only, thus ensuring that owners of heavy vehicles pay their equitable share for the use of the Namibian road network.

Obtain permits for CBC and MDC at Namibia's border posts

The RFA collects the Cross-Border Charges (CBC) and Mass Distance Charges (MDC) at its offices located at Namibian Border Posts. Upon entering Namibia by road, owners and operators of foreign-registered vehicles should visit the RFA office at the respective Namibian's Border Post to complete the required forms, pay the mandatory amount(s) due and obtain the accompanying permit(s), to comply with these requirements. Officials of the RFA in uniform at the Namibian Border Posts will ensure and verify that each and every foreign-registered vehicle adheres to and pays a CBC and/or an MDC (whichever is applicable.

The RFA has CBC offices at the following Namibian Border Posts or nearest town (Click Here for RFA Footprint Map)

  • Noordoewer                     
  • Ariamsvlei                                          
  • Sendelingsdrift                
  • Velloorsdrift
  • Aroab (close to the Klein Menasse Border Post)               
  • Trans Kalahari (Buitepos)
  • Ngoma                                                
  • Mata-Mata
  • Mahenene
  • Mohembo
  • Oshikango
  • Katwitwi
  • Windhoek
  • Wenela
  • Sarasungu
  • Walvis Bay
  • Kasamane                                          

Which vehicles should pay a CBC?

Each and every foreign-registered vehicle entering Namibia should pay a CBC or entry fee and obtain the corresponding permit (and tax invoice) at an RFA office at Namibia's border posts. Please see the rates for the different vehicle types in Table A.

Which vehicles should pay an MDC?

All foreign-registered vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers with a carrying capacity of above 3,500kg are obliged to complete an application form, pay an MDC in order to obtain an MDC permit. The MDC permit is based  on the distance the vehicle would travel with Namibia. Owners/operators are obliged to declare the odometer reading of the vehicle(s) when entering Namibia and when leaving the country.

Owners/operators of heavy vehicles must ensure that the driver(s) correctly record the distance travelled by a specific heavy vehicle. This should be indicated on the MDC permit/form and also be recorded in the log book of the vehicle.

Please see the relevant MDC rates according to the vehicle types in Table B. Calculations of MDCs are done strictly according to accepted transport-economic principles.

Which vehicles are exempted from MDC?

Owners/operators of the following vehicles are exempt from paying an MDC. These vehicles are:

  • Motorcycles, Motor tri-cycles, Motor quadru-cycles.
  • Passenger cars.
  • Station wagons, kombis, microbuses.
  • Minibuses designed for 10 to 16 persons, including the driver less than or equal to carrying 3,500kg.
  • Light delivery vehicles (single & double cabs less than or equal to carrying 3,500kg).
  • Light delivery truck less than or equal to carrying 3,500kg.

Where and how are MDCs payable?

Owners/Operators of especially heavy foreign-registered vehicles who undertake trips to Namibia on a regular basis are advised to do their payments by Electronic Fund Transfers (EFTs). MDCs should be paid directly into the RFA's bank account, via bank guaranteed cheque deposits and/or Electronic Fund Transfers. The RFA's banking details are:

Account Name:                 Road Fund Administration - CBC Prepaid

Bank:                                Standard Bank Namibia

Branch Number:               082372

Account Number:             04 142 4344

Branch Name:                 Windhoek Branch

The original proof of payment of the Electronic Fund Transfer should be forwarded to the RFA upon payment.

Keep CBC and MDC permits in vehicles at all times

Owners and operators of foreign-registered vehicles should ensure that they have their CBC and MDC permits with them in their vehicles when travelling in Namibia at all times. Foreign-registered vehicles will be checked strictly for their compliance regarding CBC/MDC permits at roadblocks by the Namibian Police, Traffic Police, and Transport Inspectorate officers at the Roads Authority weigh bridge stations or whilst they are on patrol countrywide.

Fines for non-compliance

When owners and operators of foreign-registered vehicles are caught without the required CBC and MDC permits, or if these permits do not comply with their specific purpose, entry date or any other requirement, such owner/operator may be fined on the spot or face prosecution. A person who commits an offence is liable to be fined an amount not exceeding N$4,000.

When exiting Namibia

When foreign-registered vehicles leave Namibia after their travels within the country, owners/operators must hand in the CBC and MDC permits/forms at the RFA border post offices. CBC/MDC officials are authorised to check heavy vehicles and verify their odometer readings according to the issued permits and distances travelled.



 Telephone: +264 61 433 3000 Facsimile: +264 61 433 3070  Physical Address:  21 Feld Street, Windhoek, Namibia 
Road Fund Administration - Copyright 2015