The RFA is authorised to collect Cross Border Charges (or Entry Fees) from every foreign-registered vehicle (from motor cycles to heavy vehicles), including Mass Distance Charges (or Travelling Distance Charges) on all foreign-registered vehicles weighing above 3,500kg utilising Namibia’s roads temporarily.

Obtain permits for CBC and
MDC at Namibia's border posts

The RFA collects the Cross-Border Charges (CBC) and Mass Distance Charges (MDC) at its offices located at Namibian Border Posts. Upon entering Namibia by road, owners/operators of foreign-registered vehicles should visit the RFA office at the respective Namibian Border Post to complete the required forms, pay the mandatory amount(s) due and obtain the accompanying permit(s), to comply with these requirements. Officials of the RFA at the Namibian Border Posts will ensure and verify that all foreign-registered vehicles adhere to and pay a CBC and/or an MDC (as applicable).

The RFA has CBC offices at the following Namibian Border Posts or nearest towns:

  • Noordoewer
  • Ariamsvlei
  • Sendelingsdrift
  • Velloorsdri
  • Klein Menasse (Aroab
  • Trans-Kalahari (Buitepos)
  • Ngoma
  • Mata-Mata
  • Mahenene
  • Mohembo
  • Oshikango
  • Katwitwi
  • Windhoek
  • Wenela
  • Sarasungu
  • Walvis Bay
  • Kashamane
  • Oshakati
  • Keetmanshoop 


The RFA has CBC
at the following
Namibian Border Posts
or nearest towns

Namibia CBC Offices

Which vehicles
should pay a CBC?

All foreign-registered vehicles entering Namibia should pay a CBC or entry fee and obtain the corresponding permit (and tax invoice) at the RFA office at Namibia’s border posts.

Which vehicles
should pay an MDC?

All foreign-registered vehicles, trailers and semi-trailers with a carrying capacity of above 3,500kg are obliged to complete an application form and pay an MDC in order to obtain an MDC permit. The MDC permit is based on the distance the vehicle would travel within Namibia. Owners/operators are obliged to declare the odometer reading of the vehicle(s) when entering Namibia and when leaving the country.

Owners/operators of heavy vehicles must ensure that the driver(s) correctly record the distance travelled by a particular heavy vehicle. This should be indicated on the MDC permit/form and also be recorded in the log book of the vehicle.

Calculations of MDCs are done strictly according to accepted transport-economic principles.

How should CBC/MDC
payments be made?

Owners/Operators of especially heavy foreign-registered vehicles who undertake trips to Namibia on a regular basis are advised to do their payments by Electronic Fund Transfers (EFTs). MDCs should be paid directly into the RFA’s bank account, via bank guaranteed cheque deposits and/or Electronic Fund Transfers. The RFA’s banking details are:

The original proof of payment of the Electronic Fund Transfer should be forwarded to the RFA upon payment.

Keep CBC and MDC permits in vehicles at all times

Owners/operators of foreign-registered vehicles should ensure that they have their CBC and MDC permits with them in their vehicles when travelling in Namibia at all times. Foreign-registered vehicles will be checked strictly for their compliance regarding CBC/MDC permits at roadblocks by the Namibian Police, Traffic Police and Transport Inspectorate officers at the Roads Authority weighbridge stations or whilst they are on patrol countrywide.

Fines for non-compliance

If owners/operators of foreign-registered vehicles are caught without the required CBC or MDC permit, or if these permits do not comply with their specific purpose, entry date or any other requirement, such owner/operator may be fined on the spot or face prosecution. A person who commits an offence is liable to be fined an amount not exceeding N$4,000.

When exiting Namibia

Owners/operators must hand in the CBC and MDC permits/forms at the RFA border post offices. CBC/MDC officials are authorised to check heavy vehicles and verify their odometer readings according to the issued permits and distance travelled.